Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tis the season to be tidy!

My husband and I were supposed to go on a hike this weekend with Steve's brother, Charles, and his wife, Deborah, and 2 more friends. They bailed out on us which opened up the weekend for - oh happy day - the garage clean-up! 

This event was already on my calendar for this week, but it was not on Steve's because of work. I figured that I would spend a full week on this project but with his help we got it done in 2 days! 

So - this is our garage, before... This is the left wall:


This is part of the left and back wall. The door leads into the house:


This is the right wall. The 4th wall is the double-wide garage door and we're ignoring that.


The before-walls were sheetrock covered with a vinyl printed to look like paneling. We've been in the house 15 years and I have never been happy with the walls. I wanted white walls and that was a big part of this clean-up. Painting the walls meant that everything had to come off into a big pile in the middle of the garage. With 2 people doing the piling, it went fast. 

You can see the pile in this photo and the walls with the primer coat of paint. I'm a fast painter and, since this is the garage after all, I was not super-neat. I had both the primer and the finish coat on the 3 walls by 2:00 in the afternoon. I used latex paints and they dry fast!


Here is Steve beginning to put things back...


Steve was really great about doing this on the spur of the moment. The hike would have been lots of fun, and we'll eventually get out there and do that too, but I am oh-so-happy to have this done!

I'll show you pictures the the finished garage tomorrow. For now I have to sign off because the grandkids are due any minute - it's babysitting time!

Later,

Becky

2 comments:

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Hey Becky--

Just getting caught up on your blog. LOVE those glitter houses!! Too cute!

Deb said...

Becky...your garage really didn't look to bad to begin with...ours..forget it!! the garage is the least favorite to clean for me cause I have nothing in there.. it is all his and believe me everything is stacked precariously!! Can't wait to see the end result to all that hard work...LOL now you need time for a massage!!