Sunday, November 2, 2008

Visionary Art Museum...

Celia and I went to the American Visionary Art Museum on Saturday. What a great museum! I could only take pictures on the outside - and there is a lot outside. There's even more inside. This is a museum dedicated to outsider art. The art is personal, quirky, very accessible, and I do love it!

There is a wonderful mirror mosaic on the outside of the building. It was begun by Jack Livingston and later taken over by Mari Gardner. Both were assisted by students.

The sparkly glass/mirror tree is like Christmas all year round!













The mirrored mosaic egg is pretty wonderful too.













The wooden meditation chapel in the wildflower garden is way cool. You can climb up in it.



That's where I found this fine fellow. If you find yourself in Baltimore, don't miss this museum!

3 comments:

Joan said...

I drive by this museum almost every day and I have never been there. I'll have to actually go inside it soon. I do love the tree, the mosaic and the bird's nest sculpture on the side of the building.
I'm glad you had a good time in Baltimore!

Beverly Kaye said...

The founder and Director of the museum, Rebecca Hoffberger, invited my group (Folk Art Society of America) to visit the museum while they were installing a show. Rebecca is as animated and interesting as the museum itself, and the day was fantastic. The Baltimore Screens were displayed perfectly and the the mechanized artworks were beyond belief. The book store in the back of the Gift Shop is very well stocked. Your photos of the front and the Sculpture Garden in back are just terrific! Thanks for the memories!

Carrie P. said...

What a cool place. Love the gardens.