Monday, May 19, 2008

Lasting Memories from Quilt Market...

I'm home and unpacked and have been thinking back on market. I have to say that my strongest memories are of the people I got to visit with there. It's always nice to re-connect with friends that I only see once or twice a year, and this year was no exception. 
I met many people for the first time and for many of them, this was their first market. They were as stunned at the enormity of the quilt industry as I remember being 14 years ago. It was nice to share in their excitement!
Clear, fresh colors were big at this market. Linda and I love these colors, so that is happy news! Green in many shades was much in evidence - as was pink.
I got a chance to see a new product that will have our name on it at this market. We have worked with Superior Threads on 3 sets of thread pre-wound onto bobbins - made especially for applique! Linda and I chose 36 of the colors we use the most from Superior's Masterpiece line. Masterpiece is one of the threads we recommend for hand applique, piecing, and machine quilting. Masterpiece is 100% cotton (we don't use silk), strong, and fine. 
There are 12 colors in each set. Each of the 12 bobbins has 85 yards of thread. (I had no idea that much thread fit on a bobbin.) Bobbins are a great way to carry thread - they are a lot less bulky than spools. We'll post the bobbin sets on our web site when we get them in stock - probably in June.
Lastly, I want to share with you one of my quirky finds in Portland. I ended up in a toy store (Little Finnigan's) that sells odd toys. I happen to like odd toys. They live in my studio. Anyway I saw these Horrified B-Movie Victims on Friday and resisted them. 
Luckily, I had just enough time at lunch on Saturday to sneak out of market and go back and buy them! They are about the size of the GI Joe figures that my boys had when they were little. I think they look great perched on top of my computer. 

2 comments:

Mary said...

What!!? You guys have a blog. I really should have been notified of this sooner.

But ... thanks all the same.
Mary
Scottsdale, AZ

Kim said...

OMG I love those horrified figurines! Too funny!!! I must find some for my computer at work! I love your work, and am so glad you guys have a blog!