Saturday, September 6, 2008

Aunt Catherine's Chair

My mom and sister have been weeding out their furniture. I was up at mom's 2 weeks ago and she sent me home with a chair that came to her from my Aunt Catherine. I think that's Catherine, 2nd from the left. My grandmother, Nan (real name Mabel), is 2nd in from the right.

The chair had a very red mahogany stain and burgundy fabric on the seat. The finish was not in the best of shape. I should have taken a photo, but forgot.

Steve volunteered to strip the wood for me. After looking at it I decided that the chair would look a lot better painted than re-stained. 

Once I decided that white was the best choice for the house we decided that spray paint would work just fine. He hit it with a primer coat of Kilz, and then sprayed on 3 coats of gloss white. We sanded it a bit after each coat with steel wool for a smoother finish. The steel wool took some of the paint off at the edges but I like the subtle look of wear that that gives the chair. 

I chose fabric for the seat from my stash. Regular quilting cotton seemed too light weight, so I used a heavy, woven silk that I bought last March from the Talbot's tie outlet near Monterey, CA. Like all quilters, I buy fabric and usually have no idea where it will end up. It looks good in our bedroom in from of the quilt, Everyday Best.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

The chair is beautiful! Nice job.

Dragonl1ly said...

I just found your site recently through looking for your stars in the garden book. The chair looks perfect with the quilt behind it. Great site.