Saturday, September 20, 2008

Screen doors...

I love screen doors. I know they aren't as lovely as glass storm doors, but I like the way the breezes flow through a screen door. I like the sound they make when they slam shut - it reminds me of my youth. I especially like the way screen doors keep the bugs out. Maybe you don't have to worry about flying bugs where you are, but in Texas you need screens.

I saw this screen door on a bakery in Charlevoix, MI. The owner must have gotten tired of people pushing on the screen to open the door. I know from experience that that can pull the screen loose from the door. So she (or he) screwed dowels across the door to protect the screen. The dowels are odd lengths and not perfectly aligned which adds to their charm.
 


Now that the weather has gotten cooler, it's time to hang a screen door outside my studio door. I had been trying to figure out how to keep the cats from clawing the bottom screen to shreds and, when I saw the dowels on this door I knew that was the answer!

I've spent some time this week painting the door and dowels. I'm going to have to find some little screws to attach them to the door. I'm hoping that we get it hung tomorrow. I'll post pictures once it's up. 

I spent the rest of my week working on drawings for a border for the quilt Linda is making, and I worked on a downloadable quilt pattern for our website. You'll be hearing about Rhymes I Remember (it was our 2nd book) soon! I'm hoping to find time to sew next week. So much to do and so little time!

3 comments:

Tine said...

I love screen-doors too! If ever I get a house, we will certainly have screendoors in summer. We don't use them in Denmark, don't know why, we do have bugs in summer, so it would make sense to use the screen-doors. The dowels are a great idea!

NMSue said...

Just a note to say how much I enjoy reading your Blog. You always deal with the simple fun things in life.
Thank you for a different prospective.

Anonymous said...

I love it!! Please come and do one for me because the mosquitos are eating us alive.hee