Monday, September 29, 2008

Country mailboxes...

I'm just back from LaGrange, TX, which is a small town in near Austin. It's a part of Texas I had not visited before. I'm happy to report that it is a lovely place with rolling hills and tall trees. The weather was nice - neither hot nor humid - which is not always the case this time of year. 

I didn't realize how far away from the city I was until the sun went down. It was so dark that I literally could not see my hand in front of my face when I was outside. The stars were amazing! It's been a very long time since I've experienced that sort of night sky. I wish I could tone down the city lights so that I could experience that more often. On the other hand, it is nice to be able to see where you are going at night.



On my morning walk I spotted these mailboxes. I had to go back and get my camera to take some pictures. I don't know what it is about the composition that I like so much. I took photos from both sides and was going to take more when 3 big, not-very-happy dogs with lots of teeth encouraged me to move along.


 
As I was moving away from the dogs/mailboxes trying to look neither threatening nor tasty it occurred to me that I am truly a city girl. I was not prepared for meeting up with a bunch of "country" dogs. I was really lucky that the dogs understood me when I explained that I was sorry and would be moving away from their territory and never coming back. Which is why I had one morning walk. It was a great excuse to do a little sleeping in!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Country dogs are very smart notice they don't have to be on lead and are aware of their grounds! City dogs are tied to their posts not knowing their boundaries.. except mine she lays on the porch and watches.. lets me know with (a) bark that someone is walking by. I love the country mailboxes of today they have lots of character now. owners paint them with flowers with great flourish. Sorry that you did not enjoy more walks I am sure you would have found more to interest you in the country side like the free growing trees that don't get trimmed they are so different than our trees that have to be cut cause of hydro lines... thanks for your great blog I check it often and have you in my favorites.