Saturday, August 9, 2008

I'm in Seattle!

I am teaching on an Alaskan cruise... we sail tomorrow. My husband, Steve, is with me on this trip. He enjoys accompanying me to scenic places :-).

We got to Seattle this afternoon and 
had time to take the bus to the Seattle Public Library. Rem Koolhaas designed this building 
and I have only seen it in pictures until today. My oh my - what a place!

The outside is glass and steel... gray and yet very reflective. Inside there are gray areas — and areas that are just saturated in color. We came into these very simple, gray stacks of books. The light permeates every space. Even where ceilings are low, you don't feel closed in.

The escalators are intense shades of yellow and yellow-green. 

The photo below is at the bottom of a double-escalator. The insides of the elevators are similar in color, but I couldn't get a good photo of  one. 

There is one floor in the library that is all in glossy red - except for one wall that is intensely fuscia. The walls undulate. Majorly cool. 

If you find yourself in Seattle, it's definitely worth a visit.

No comments: